This Introduction to Sail programme is offered as a Holiday programme, which is a 5 day, 3 1/2 hours per day course held in the school holidays using a club optimist training dinghy. Parents are not required to be present for this programme, although parents are welcome at any time. Sailors are advantaged in the long term if parents take an active interest in learning rigging and basic techniques.
Registrations are open for the October Holiday Introduction to Sail Courses. The October course (5th-9th Oct) will run from 9:00am to 12:30pm each day. The cost of the course is $340.00 per sailor and includes the use of a club Optimist training dinghy and all coaching fees.
Registrations can only be confirmed upon receipt of payment
This is a list of the gear you need to bring along for your Learn to Sail course.
It doesn’t need to be flash – but you need to be prepared for both sunny and cooler conditions.
- Wetsuit – short arms/short legs allows flexibility but if you already have another type it will work fine.
- Thermals – long sleeves and leggings to wear under the wetsuit on cold days.
- Wind and spray jacket – some wetsuits only provide limited wind protection.
- Rash shirt – or other quick drying sun protection.
- Lifejacket – if you have one. If not the Club can provide this.
- Footwear – wetsuit booties or rock hopper footwear if you have it. Old sneakers or sandals are also fine.
- Hats – sunhat or cap and a beanie for the colder days.
- Food – water bottle and snacks.
- A full change of warm clothing.
- A pen to write with.
- The weather forecast for the day.
- Any medication or allergy advice (to be passed to the coach on arrival)
Remember it may be colder on the water than on deck so be prepared.
Bring ample snacks and drinks.
Come down to the club on Sundays or get in contact with Anthony McBride, Learn to Sail Coordinator Ph 021 521 013